Preparing for Spring Decorating
(This Peter Rabbit Display is 100% me. I designed this to be authentic to me and potentially to people like you who have the same love. I'm obsessed with bunnies in all ways and if you saw this on Instagram you know I said that I still call chamomile tea "Peter Rabbit tea" from the book.)
I used to look forward to mostly holiday decorating in the second half of the year. A few years ago I grew a complete love for spring decor and it went along with my love of farms and antiques.
My whole life I grew up on the side of a farm. My town is filled with local farmers in rural South Jersey. It made loving farmhouse everything so easy.
I found some decor that I love love love using for spring and “general” all the time decorating. I love this change of season and feeling the good vibes from it. Decorating definitely is connected to my mood and having the right spring decor helps so much!
Here are my favorite must haves:
-Carrots! I love them any size and they are an absolute must.
-Anything related to birds—eggs & nests are my favorite. I love finding new decor, handmade decor, and old decor in this style.
-Greenery & Flowers YES!! I feel like we have the longest winter in New Jersey so faux plants and flowers make me feel like warmer weather is on the way. I need this feeling in the dead of winter or patiently waiting for spring to arrive.
I always say invest in your greens and your decorating will transform.
Here are somethings to consider when thinking about spring decorating:
First things first, when it comes to setting up your decor for any time of year, set it up went YOU want. I always say this and it's for a reason. It's your home after all! You look at it everyday and it should reflect when it make you happy.
Second, when it comes to gathering or shopping for holiday/seasonal decor...the trick is to do it before everyone else or doing it before that season or holiday.
1. That way you aren't rushing to find what you need
2. You don't miss out on the decor you like
3. I'm a big small business shopper as a small business owner myself, and I want to accommodate turn around times. Look at turn around times like giving shops time to make your handcrafted and special decor--well...special! Shops have these for a reason and giving the space and time to make your order perfect takes time so I want to accommodate for this and shop ahead.
4. It gives you time to play around with new decor and figure out what you like before the holiday comes
The reason for all this time is you want to enjoy that season and your decorations to the MAX. If you're beginning to get to know me you might know that I'm all about making life easier and stress free--especially when it comes to decorating. This is our special time to ourself or special time to decorate with family. Enjoy taking the time to decorate your home to the fullest and part of that is giving yourself time.
5. Time also allows you to change and tweak what you are decorating. You have time to change it around and play with decor. I like decorating for spring early because we have such long winters. I love the greenery in my yard and the flowers so it's hard to wait t see them. I decorate with flower and spring early to have good vibes to get through winter. My spring and summer decorate are similar which is half the year or so. I can add things, change things, or take away things. This is what I personally do in my home and like I mentioned...do what makes you happy! If you haven't given yourself that permission yet, consider this your allowance. I'll give you permission to decorate whenever you want how ever you want! It's okay and it doesn't matter what outsiders comments might be...you do YOU.
Allow yourself to have fun with your inner decorator for spring. There are no rules here so let yourself lean into the kind of decorating that you love. I love farmhouse antique kinda vibe so I'll incorporate that into spring. If you love minimal decorating...go right ahead. pick the spring pieces that make you feel at peace. This is the time of year to really decorate with your style of decor or try out new styles.
I like to have a wide variety of decor in the shop for everyone. Neutrals, colors, that kind of thing. I like to be unique and have special pieces for you to fall in love with. I really like being different and I really like doing what I like. Overall with my personality I'll do what I personally like and turn away from being overly influenced by trends. I think like this: If it's trendy and I like it...I'll do it. If it's not trendy and I like it...I'll do it. I give myself permission to do what I like and find the most happiness in this place because there's no pressure and no judgement.
I want you to feel that here too at Crafty Home. I accept you for you and welcome everyone experiences in their decorating journey. I hope to help open yourself up to who you really are to find ease in your decorating. I hope to help you find ways to decorate that are authentic to you and help you create displays and just general decorating that feel more like you. In my experiences I know it can be a challenge to feel the right way about something you put together so I want to help you make your decorating feel more like YOU!
I'd love if you could share my blog with your friends and family so we can all be on this decorating journey together.
Here are some of the most authentic displays that I've put together and feel most like me! Of course the Peter Rabbit one is included!